Monday, November 9, 2009

Riddle of the Sphinx

We're on the bus coming home tonight, and out of nowhere, Sophie starts asking me the riddle of the Sphinx: "What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening?" It wasn't delivered with the same veiled menace you could imagine the Sphinx asking it with (the first part was mumbled and I only caught on during the "two legs at noon" part), but still, I was pretty impressed. I answered quickly - just in case there were any Sphinxes taking the bus home after a busy day Sphinxing, but there didn't seem to be. And no, I'm not going to tell you the answer, if you don't want to be eaten by a Sphinx, you'll have to figure it out. Or Google it. Google, the Sphinx's bane.

I know Holly already mentioned this book in her last post, but here it is again - a most excellent book, one which apparently teaches riddles to toddlers. Hooray for Calef Brown! The only two books of his (that I know of) that we haven't seen yet are "Flamingos on the Roof" and "Soup for Breakfast". We'll have to check them out.

2 comments:

Holly said...

This astounds me, wish I had been there to hear it! Hooray for Calef Brown and his mad illustration skillz!

Kristi Fuoco said...

I'll have to read that one to her soon!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers