I've wanted to write a library book of the week post in the style of inchmark's blog for a long time. When it was time to return The Adventures of Polo to the library (we'd renewed it twice already), I knew this was the book I was waiting for.
The Adventures of Polo is a wordless book that takes you on Polo's fantastic journey from his little island home to worlds unknown. He brings along his very helpful backpack that contains items like an umbrella to help him keep his balance on tightropes. He's very prepared.
The book is full of surprises (what you think is an island becomes a whale) and it's a real page turner.
Polo eventually leaves Earth and meets some little green guys on the moon. Fortunately, he has his lantern that he can fill with phosphorescent mushrooms so he can find his way through the sublunar tunnels. All in a day's work for Polo.
Personally, I love it when he takes an elevator in a tree and finds a group of monkeys partying on a platform that eventually takes off into the sky. That's my kinda party.
Happily, all ends well when Polo eventually returns to his idyllic island home.
Sophia loved this book and after we'd "read" it together a few times, I heard her whisper the entire story to herself. The good news is that Regis Faller has illustrated several more Polo books, so we'll be enjoying this series for months!


2 comments:
Makes me want to go to the library and check this book out myself!
Mason loved all the books. The rest are actually much smaller than the first one.
Post a Comment