We figured we'd go looking for a used dresser at the thrift shops, and find something that suited us that would hold a schwack (technical term for a plethora) of baby gear. We found a couple dressers at the store below us, but they were priced pretty darn low, and for pretty good reason - one was generally beat up and mangy, and the other was from Ikea. Like someone later told us, Ikea can sometimes be fine the first time around, but on its second life, it's usually just on the verge of collapse, if not well past that point. So we decided to think about it, and carry on to the next store, where we found a couple good solid dressers, solid wood, good drawer openage, all that - but a bit pricier than the first store. (Still not at all bad, though.) We hummed and hawed and finally decided on one of these nice dressers - but had no way of getting it home. The co-op truck nearby was booked, so we booked a car for later in the day - little did we realize how barely wrong-sized that car would turn out to be. (That's called "blatant foreshadowing".)
Anyway, on the way home, we walked by that first store - which had kindly decided to place a new dresser in their sidewalk display - a beautiful looking dresser with cute little-kid plastic numbers as drawer handles. The clouds parted, the light shone upon it, and lo, Holly's eyes did tear up. With a curse to the thrift store gods, I hustled her on past, up to our apartment. (This turned out okay the next day, when I went to inspect the dresser, and found it to be of extremely dubious quality. Phew.)
Where was I? Right. The car. I picked up the car, drove to the store, and found that the dresser was approximately an inch from fitting into the car, no matter where in the car I tried to put it, no matter how I swivelled it. (And I'm a world-champion car-fitter-in-er, I once got a boxspring into the back of a canopy truck that was a good 6 inches too small for it - the trick is to bend time and space with your mind.) So, I had to leave it there, return the car, and return at lunch the next day with the co-op truck. That worked. The dresser was in our place!And just now, we jammed it full of stuff - I'm still a bit fuzzy on how we actually got this much stuff - we only bought one onesie and a package of diapers ourselves, as far as I remember. We certainly have generous family and friends. Thanks, all!


No comments:
Post a Comment